Guest Author: Maria DeVivo



 Today I would like to introduce you to the very first of my guest authors. Maria DeVivo has written eight dark fantasy and apocalyptic books you need to check out. The book we are featuring today is Witch of the Black Circle: Book One of the Dawn of the Black Witch series. Book Two is slated to arrive in June of this year. You can find more information about Maria and her books here: Maria Devivo

Maria has two more series for you to enjoy as well. The Altered, an apocalyptic tale in three parts, and The Coal Elf Chronicles, a fantasy series with a great twist on the story of Santa Claus. Plus the added fun of a coloring book!

To get to know Maria a little better here are her answers to a set of questions I asked. I hope you enjoy her Q&A. Hopefully I will have insights into more authors in the future.

  1.  Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?

I think it’s a little bit of both. In the realm of literature, it’s kind of hard to be “original” per se. For me, I just go with what’s in my heart and in my head. Of course, I keep my audience in mind, but there are moments when I stop and think “oh man, is that gonna play out well?” then I write it anyway cause it’s what I’m feeling or what the characters are telling me they need to do. 

 

  1. What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?

It’s kind of weird, because I consider myself a loner in my writing life, but yet I have a pretty tight-knit group of author friends (which I never, in a million years, expected to have when I started writing professionally). The connections I have made (whether in actual life or via social media groups) have been so helpful to me as a writer and as a person. Some of my closest writing peeps are Scott Eder, Amanda Byrd, Rod Martinez, and Steve Altier because we are super active in our local convention scene, so it helps to have that other level of support.  

 

  1. If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

Don’t change a thing! You did good.

 

  1. How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?

I don’t think it necessarily changed my process of writing so much as it made me super hungry for more. I want to write more, want to hold more books in my hands, want to do more shows and signings.

 

  1. What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?

Plastic bins and a good dolly.

 

  1. What does literary success look like to you?

When someone tells me that something I wrote impacted them in a way that I had never anticipated. When someone tells me they absolutely despise one of my characters. When someone tells me they took a really long time to finish one of my books because they didn’t want it to end. When my thirteen-year-old told me her favorite series was something I wrote.

 

  1. What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?

Research is so important, even in a fantasy world. I spend a lot of time making sure everything lines up. The research doesn’t stop, either. I can go into writing a new book with hours worth of information and still find myself on the internet adding to my research notes!

 

  1. How do you select the names of your characters?

I like to give my characters names that have a deeper meaning. Sometimes I will go with the actual meaning of a name and if it fits their personality. Sometimes the name just “feels right” to say. For my Coal Elf series, I did a social media contest – “Give my character a middle name” or “help me name a set of twins.” That was a great way to get reader involvement.

 

  1. Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?

I always read book reviews, and take them with a grain of salt. I know I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s ok. Not everyone will be moved by, or even like what I have to say, and that’s ok, too. Of course the good ones are great! They give you that quick burst of “yes! I got this!” The negative ones you just gotta write off. I will say this though: I would rather get a negative review with actual feedback (“I didn’t like this because x-y-z”) than get a positive review that just says “Great book.” I appreciate when a reader takes the time to say how they feel and explain why they felt that way whether it’s good or bad. It’s helpful for the author to grow.

 

  1. Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?

Oh my word, yes! ALL the time. I think every writer does that to some degree.

 

  1. What was your hardest scene to write?

The last scene in my novel The Altered: Evolution. Completing a series is always difficult because you’re ending a piece of your own journey. For some reason, the end of that series got me very emotional and it took a long time just to get a few pages down.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun With Science!

Something New I Am Reading

Welcome to My World